Gwen Stefani’s base player, Derek Frank, talks about what it takes to get great session gigs and how doing your research as a musician, along with perfecting your skills, can really set you apart.
Derek Frank currently plays bass in Gwen Stefani’s band, and has previously toured with artists such as Shania Twain, Air Supply, Shakira, Daniel Powter, Mindi Abair & the Boneshakers, Victoria Justice, Dancing With The Stars, among many others.
In this episode you’ll learn about:
- How session players are picked
- Advice on how to evaluate and market yourself as a session player
- Use versatility and why to always important keep learning
- Session vs. Live Performance
- Working with an existing style, while adding your own
- Marketing yourself
- Making collaboration work
- Working with different styles
- Session playing with an EDM base, and how, in today’s world, anything goes